Saturday, June 16, 2007

SOS

Sarah: Monday I went into the city to meet up with friends from Orphanos Foundation. Grace Fragoso, Wayne Sneed, and a new staff member that I had not met, Sandi Langley, came to meet up with an organization called Viva Network here in Costa Rica. Together, the two organizations trained 7 students who were about to embark on a 2 month Summer of Service experience. I had gone with Orphanos 6 years ago to Brasil for a summer to live and work in a children’s home. Two of these students will also be going to Brasil for the summer, 4 of them will be going to 2 different children’s homes in Mexico, and 1 will be staying here in Costa Rica to work in a very poor neighborhood made up of mainly Nicaraguans.

I had a really great time being reacquainted with friends, and it was such a blessing to be a part of this training of new students who will be having a similar experience that impacted my own life so much. I had a chance to share with them about my experiences one night, and it was great to recap such a great summer. We also traveled around to a few different missions located here in Costa Rica, which could possibly serve as contacts for me in the future.

David stayed here for most of the week, and did a lot of work and spent time with the Cossels. He and John Cossel took a hike from here all the way to Providencia, a nearby valley, and were picked up by John’s wife in that town. David was able to come into the city on Thursday night and stay with some of our friends, so that he could spend a short time visiting with Orphanos friends as well and bring me back out to the valley today.

No comments: